Thursday, June 23, 2016
Saturday, June 11, 2016
The tire, fender, new drive belt, and most all brackets and accessories are back where they belong. I have clearance in all critical areas, the tire doesn't rub, and it was time to start the electrical issues I decided I needed to create.
Step one was a new voltage regulator. For some reason this was an issue I wasn't looking forward to. Tearing into the motor and transmission I didn't hesitate, but the regulator caused me to pause for some reason. I did have to disconnect the oil cooler, but other than that it was an hour project that went without a hitch.
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 12:09 PM
Sunday, May 8, 2016
Spent some quality time in the garage today. Everything I did the last couple of weeks had to be undone to get to the next steps that need to be done. Had to remove the rear sidecar mount and right exhaust to get the swing arm bracket off.
Next was to remove the tire. I let all the air out and installed the Dyna Beads to balance it. This is my first time using them and it was an easy process. Next was to drive out the swingarm pivot shaft. I had sprayed it a few weeks ago with penetrating oil and it just slipped out nice and easy. Unbolted the shocks and the swingarm practically fell out.
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 5:48 PM
Sunday, May 1, 2016
Circumstances keep conspiring to kick my ass and I have to admit not being able to ride is wearing me out. But, I need to give myself a good, strong kick in that ass and plug ahead.
I have made a bit of progress on the Petunia front. The tire is mounted and it fits under the stock fender with just minor modification. I did use a tube and was successful on the first attempt without poking a hole in it.
Thursday, April 7, 2016
Got up early and with nothing else to do I tried to inflate the car tire on Petunia's new rim with my little pancake compressor. And it worked like a champ!
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 7:03 AM
Tuesday, April 5, 2016
The starting fluid fire trick didn't work! It started a fire, but not enough air to set the bead. I'll post a video later.
Went to three tire shops and none would touch it because of liability. So, I ordered a bead seater that operates on 100 psi and the beads are so close together that didn't work either.
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 3:47 PM
Wednesday, March 30, 2016
It took the 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive a full 7 days to set up. By set up I mean that it still felt tacky, but also felt dry and I really had to push to leave a fingerprint. Getting antsy, I put the tire on the rim.
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 3:58 AM
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Sunday, March 20, 2016
People say it works. Others say it is crazy and they would never do it. Me, I'm a risk taker, and being able to plug and air a flat in some remote location sounds a lot better than worrying about a flatbed coming to get me. So, I took the plunge!
First order of business was having the new 16" x 3.5" rim respoked and trued. I opted to have the Wheel Shop do this because the cost didn't come close to the effort and chance of me not doing it correctly. Picked it up Thursday morning, gathered the necessary supplies, and set up shop on my mobil workbench.
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 3:31 PM
Monday, March 14, 2016
Spring has sprung out here in the desert, I'm 8 months into my time out, and getting itchy. So, into the garage to start to piddle because I will be able to ride again before long and don't want to not be ready.
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 10:20 AM
Wednesday, November 11, 2015
Tuesday, November 3, 2015
The PE teacher experiment is over. After three weeks the District found a qualified, REAL Pe teacher. I am honestly not disappointed and I know Dexter is happy to be back walking in the cool mornings.
Now, maybe, I will find the energy and desire to get back in the garage to my tire project. The tire is an Avon 160/80/16 tubeless.
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 10:18 AM
Saturday, October 10, 2015
I think I found a workable tire, it has been ordered, and I await delivery. I still haven't taken the current rear tire and rear fork off yet because of laziness and the chance this tire may work without further modifications.
But the big change is I was offered, and accepted, a job at my Daughter's school teaching PE as a long term substitute. Only know right now it will last until Christmas break in mid December, but there is the possibility it will last to the end of the school year. No, I'm not bored being retired, but because of my riding time out, I need something to get me out of the house and into the fresh air. Plus it will help offset the cost of Petunia's updates.
Posted by Arizona Harley Dude at 7:08 AM
Sunday, September 27, 2015
My first step was to find out what a motorcycle tire size converts to in an auto tire size. Found this handy site, http://www.hdwheels.com/Product.htm, that tells me without any modifications to Petunia I can go up to a 18"x4.25 rim and use a 150/70-18 tire.
So, I went to the Harley parts site I use to look into what I could do, or what might be possible.