Finally, at long last I took Petunia and the pigpen back on the road. This is my street about twenty minutes before I left.
This is about twenty miles from the house
The clouds and rain were coming after me
This was looking back toward the house and it was worse coming back
Petunia ran well, the transmission seemed to be working correctly. Shifting was stiff at first, but the heel/toe shifter needs to be readjusted because it doesn't feel right to me. The break-in procedure for the transmission is to ride-it-like-you-stole-it! So, I took them at their word and at 85, in the rain, on the wet roads, I ran out of nerve before throttle.
I changed from a 28 tooth compensating sprocket to a 25 tooth one. The result is 2,600RPM @ 60 MPH in 6th gear. With cruise set, she pulls hills without any trouble and maintains 60 without any effort. 70 MPH is @3,000 RPM and Petunia sounds like she wants another gear. I'm going to ride her like this for a while before I make any decision about replacing the 28 tooth sprocket.
So, wet, chilled, and with a smile on my face I am happy that this project is complete. After the necessary speciality tools I had to purchase, waiting out the weather delays getting the gear-set rebuilt, and not removing the pigpen, this project really wasn't bad. Similar to my take on rebuilding the motor, it is just like a car only with a lot less parts.