Tuesday, December 6, 2016

It Must Be Time

After sixteen years, maybe closer to 20, of wearing the same HJC helmet I decided I should replace it.  Manufacturers suggest the life of a helmet is five years and I clearly haven’t listened to that. It is in nearly perfect condition with the exceptions of the few, superficial scars from the few miles it rode in the trunk. The inside looks good, it doesn’t stink, and I would think it would be better than the Harley cap I rode many miles with.



However, when I purchased Stella I told myself I wouldn’t ride her without ATGATT. In the four months I have had her I have honored that vow. So, I began the search for a new helmet that I might like. I was interested in a modular helmet that would flip up, that had air vents that allowed the flow of air to be felt, was comfortable and quiet, would work with glasses, and allowed for good vision. I also broadened my price point as the $100 range just didn't feel comfortable to me. 


I found a Scorpion EXO-AT950 that looked promising and with great reviews. When finally finding one to try on in the size I am currently wearing it was tight. Really tight and uncomfortable. The guy at the shop told me to just buy the next bigger size and he could have it in a week. I left and went home. The next day I looked on the internet, Black Friday Weekend, and found that same helmet for 20% off, with no sales tax, another 10% savings, free shipping, and free exchange if it didn’t fit. I ordered it in the next size up and it arrived in 6 days.



After 200 miles this helmet feels like an old friend. It is warm, with the vents closed, and there isn't a fog issue at 38 degrees. The locking mechanism offers a positive closing and the visor has 3 open locking positions. There is a drop down sun visor also. It fits snug, but not tight and it really doesn't feel any different than my old helmet. I do have a bit of buffeting that I didn't have with the HJC, so will need to play with the windshield to see if I can get it calmed down. Other than that I am really pleased with this purchase.

Yes, I am back to riding after only four weeks. Started out with short distances and have slowly increased to a 110 mile run yesterday. Looking to get in a longer distance run in the next week or two, if I can convince myself that 35-39 degrees isn't to cold to be leaving the house. I should focus on the fact it will warm up to 65 for the afternoon trip home. Besides that the heated grips I installed work great at 38 degrees as I have only used my summer gloves so far.

13 comments :

Charlie6 said...

Good review and yeah, it was time to get a new helmet...which reminds me....I need to get hot on that as well.

Arizona Adventure Dude said...

Charlie6; I'm not sure why a helmet, that hasn't been in an accident, or suffered a major drop, needs to be thrown away after 5 years. Helmet maker profits and liability are my first thoughts.

Charlie6 said...

the way I understand it, UV exposure of the helmet's material, eventually degrades/weakens its structural strength.

Arizona Adventure Dude said...

Charlie6; That is the claim, but have you heard of anyone testing an old helmet against the standards of when it was made to see? I read one, supposed, case of 20 old stock helmets being tested and all passed. But they were all stored inside.

Arizona Adventure Dude said...

I am positive that this new helmet is far superior to one it replaces.

Thomas Osburn said...

I have not tried a Scorpion. Good review. Glad you got a new one. I suspect you will enjoy the updated features.

Arizona Adventure Dude said...

Thomas; I had not heard of Scorpion either, but all of the Biker Magazines gave them rave reviews. I am sure the updated features are the reason a new helmet feels like an older broken in one.

Trobairitz said...

Nice looking helmet. Looks like the color goes with the new bike too. My last helmet before my Shoei was a Scorpion and I didn't have any issues with it other than it was a little big, but that was my fault.

I'd say you were overdue for a helmet, so good job.

RichardM said...

Nice review. I've wondered about the 5 year rule as well. But my old HJC was pretty worn out after 5 years and I welcomed something quieter. But now that my helmet use is divided among two helmets I'm starting to wonder about "the rule".

Arizona Adventure Dude said...

Tobairitz; Thank you, I agree it was time. The color seems to change depending on the light. It is more orange than Stella's golden orange color, but it works for me.

RichardM; It was just time for me to get a new helmet. I was only thinking in terms of wanting a modular and getting the latest technology was just a bonus. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the old one, but now I won't ever have to find out.

VStar Lady said...

Have to agree with all of the above ... it was past time for a new helmet. Glad you like it.

Sash Walker said...

As for me, I promised to go ATTGAT, or at least close to it, all the time after my grandson was born. Sometimes I moan and groan about it, but I promised my kids so I do it. I was just saying I need a new helmet and much safer gloves. I guess now's the time to look for one. I've been really happy with my Nolan N90 modular and I can't imagine wearing anything but a modular helmet now. Super handy when riding really long days.

Mostly I see sportbike riders wearing the Scorpions and they love the Hell out of them. I have a friend who went down with one on and she swears she didn't even have a headache, even with some broken bones.

The nice thing about matching your helmet to your bike is that now you look like a Power Ranger! Teeheehee!! (I couldn't resist.)

Smooches,
Sash
The Rude Biker Chick

motoventures said...

Love the new helmet! I've had a two Scorpion's before (non-modular) and loved them. I might check yours out when I'm ready to upgrade!