Sunday, May 8, 2016

1 Step Forward, 3 Steps Back

Spent some quality time in the garage today.  Everything I did the last couple of weeks had to be undone to get to the next steps that need to be done.  Had to remove the rear sidecar mount and right exhaust to get the swing arm bracket off.

Next was to remove the tire.  I let all the air out and installed the Dyna Beads to balance it. This is my first time using them and it was an easy process.  Next was to drive out the swingarm pivot shaft.  I had sprayed it a few weeks ago with penetrating oil and it just slipped out nice and easy.  Unbolted the shocks and the swingarm practically fell out.

Ready to pull the primary innards and put on the new 1" drive belt.

 Looked up at the dash for a long longing look at what I've been missing. 

I thought I had all the parts I needed, but as I was removing the exhaust I found at least three missing bolts or nuts that I need to replace.  Removing the primary cover I noticed the horn wire was damaged in two locations, so I need to repair that.  I also have to go have the split in the fender welded.  Because the fender is buried under/behind the accessories I will just primer it, but not have it painted.  Just add a touch of character to Petunia.

At least I am heading in the right direction and making strides toward completion of this project. 

  

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Piddling

Circumstances keep conspiring to kick my ass and I have to admit not being able to ride is wearing me out.  But, I need to give myself a good, strong kick in that ass and plug ahead.

I have made a bit of progress on the Petunia front.  The tire is mounted and it fits under the stock fender with just minor modification.  I did use a tube and was successful on the first attempt without poking a hole in it.

Here Petunia sits on her car tire, under the stock fender.  Had to put her on the ground to drain the primary so I can change the drive belt to a 1 1/8" one.


 I cut down the fender mounting bolts to eek out a little more room.  Stock is on the right, new nut and cut insert on the left.  The bolt that holds the fender screws into the center of this.

Cut pair on the left, stock on the right.  I massaged the fender just a bit to get some spread and that 1/2" was worth the effort as the tire now has about 3/16" clearance at its closest point.

The primary oil is draining and this week I plan on taking it apart, pulling the rear fork, and installing the new drive belt.  After I get that done I will install the new voltage regulator and think about reinstalling the pigpen.  Then I will move forward with relocating a deep cycle marine battery into the pigpen.