Then the brakes were applied. The washer valves wouldn't shut off, so I got a couple of hose caps and fixed that temporarily until I could cut into the wall to replace them.
Unfortunately when opening up the wall I found what appeared to be a leak on the cold water line. The top right shows what really old copper should look like when not exposed to leaking water.
Yep, its a weeper
I will have to open the wall up some more to be able to replace the leaking T and to put in a new washer box. May as well use the latest gismos since I cut into the wall.
The drywall guy came by today and gave me a livable price, but can't do the work for two weeks. Texturing the ceiling and patching all the holes in the walls is something best left to the professional so I will have to wait. Waiting means removing the 500 feet of existing tile, patching the cracks in the floor, installing four new doors, converting a pocket door to a real door, relocating three electrical boxes, running the electric for a ceiling fan in the attic instead of stapled to the wall and ceiling of the bedroom, removing the water heater for the tile installation and changing to a ball valve shutoff, painting the closets and pantry, and taking out all the pavers in the little back yard to make Dexter a potty place. That will also mean at least two more trips to the dump.
Minor surprises aren't a bad thing as long as they stay minor and I can fix them myself. That makes them affordable and just adds to the fun.