Saturday, April 22, 2017

Four Week Report

I am now four weeks into my condo remodel. In one respect it seems like a long time, but in another I have accomplished a lot in a short period of time. I keep forgetting I had to wait for two weeks for Marty, the drywall guy, to fit me in. It was well worth the wait as he is a magician with making repairs and once he was here it went quickly.

While Marty was fixing all the drywall issues I was assembling the new kitchen cabinets. As I was working on them I was thinking it was like putting together a high end IKEA product. I have put put together plenty of IKEA products for my girls in the days gone by. All components of the Cabinets To Go cabinets are real wood and of a high quality, but come unassembled in flat boxes.

My assembly area



 Dovetail drawers on all boxes


Once Marty was done it was time to get busy painting. I purchased a Harbor Freight airless sprayer that had the potential to work great, but operator error led to less than desirable results. I finished up with the old fashion pan and roller.


Sun City residents love to come by and see what you're doing. They also love to have you come see what they did. Some of their projects look terrific and some leave me scratching my head. An example would be the one with the same tile in one unit that goes in a different direction in every room. I couldn't imagine living in that kind of environment. I have also seen several with up to five different floor coverings in the same unit. 


 Being on a deadline and needing to get the cabinets installed I pulled off the painting to start the tile work. Because of what I had seen it took me about three hours to make a final decision of where to start. The entry way to my unit is on a fourty five degree angle to the rest of the unit. That would leave the tile in the three major rooms all running on a diagonal, which in square tiles looks great, but the wood look tile not so much. So, I started in the kitchen, laying in the traditional pattern. This will leave my entryway to run on an angle, but making everything else square and easier to lay. 

My plan is to lay as much tile as I can today, completing the kitchen and breakfast nook section, then working in the living room area back towards the entry way. Sunday I will grout the kitchen area to enable me to start hanging the cabinets on Monday. Have to have them done so the granite guys can do the templet the following Monday. Somewhere this week I have to find the time to go order my appliances.

In another stroke of luck my landlord has agreed to terminate my lease early without penalty. I have been here five years and getting out three months early will be nice.
 

4 comments :

RichardM said...

Always nice to have someone else to do the drywall (I hate drywall). The tile is looking pretty good!

Does the condo have a garage?

Arizona Adventure Dude said...

RichardM; A garage was mandatory or I wouldn't have even looked at it. I am happy with the way the tile is looking, but it is a ton of work with the small size.

Trobairitz said...

That wood tile is really pretty. How is your back doing after all the renos? My back and knees hurt just looking at the tile pictures.

I am glad your landlord is letting you out early. Ease your mind a little bit.

Arizona Adventure Dude said...

Trobairitz; I really like the tile, but there is a lot of work with the small size. I'm wearing knee pads that help with my old knees. Luckily the back is holding up well and I even snuck out for a quick ride Sunday afternoon.

I am also thankful for getting out of the lease early. Now I have to put the hammer down and be able to move quicker than expected.