Thursday, April 17, 2008

Historical Boston

Well, the Arizona Harley Dude made his way to Boston compliments of the school district. Myself and six others from my school attended the National Science Conference in Boston the end of March. I learned some good things at the conference and ate some great seafood, but the best part of the experience was walking the Freedom Trail and seeing, for the first time, where the history of this great country started.

This is Paul Revere's house and his grave. Four of us walked this Trail on a cold, wet day that tested all of our resolve to feel the history we all read about.





After five hours of walking, and freezing, we found ourselves at Bunker Hill. This monument is twenty stories tall and has 294 steps to the top. The first 200 were easy the last 94 just about kicked my butt. But, then I had to go back down and that did kick my butt. After getting back to the bottom I sat down and could hardly walk after standing up again. I was sore for a week.






This was the first time in my life I ever rode on a subway. I guess that I have lived a sheltered life. It was great fun. Even the part of jumping on the wrong train and having to ride to the end of the line to go the right way.

I did also learn that the folks in Boston were a very friendly group. On several occasions they stopped and asked what we were looking for and sent us in the correct direction. I guess they could tell we were tourists. It was an experience that I won't soon forget.

2 comments :

  1. I'm with ya on the "sheltered life" thing...my school district paid for me to attend the math conference in Salt Lake City in April. It was only the 4th trip I've made by plane, and only the 2nd time I'd made it out of the eastern time zone! (The first was my honeymoon to Bermuda last summer)

    Anyway, I had relatives in Boston when I was younger, so I have been there. When we were in 6th & 5th grades respectively, my sister and I walked the freedom trail. It was awesome! I am still freaked out about walking across the bridge (to Charleston?) where The Constitution is docked. The pedestrian walk goes along the outside of the bridge's structure (as if an afterthought), and is just a grate. So when you look down, all you see is water under your feet. Yikes!

    I just started riding when I was 37 (2-1/2 years ago) and have logged only 4000 miles on my bike, but I've done at least twice that on the back of my hubby's Low Rider. I wouldn't give up riding for the world!

    I'd like to add you to my blogroll if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Road Captain,

    I would be honored to be added to your blog poll. I have been reading your and your husband's blog for a few weeks now and find it to be a very informative site..

    ReplyDelete