Friday, June 20, 2008

3 For 1 post

Yep, I've been missing in action. Rather the WiFi signal has been missing in action. So, let me update you.

Low lights: I left Anchorage Wednesday morning about 5 to bright sunlight. It lasted about an hour and then clouded up. It began to rain at 9:30 and only quit for about an hour at 6 when I arrived at Whitehorse. That was enough time to set up the tent, eat dinner, and try to get on line. I got a connection long enough to almost check my e-mail then lost it. There were so many clouds and lightening that I gave up. It rained almost all night. I thought about just staying in Whitehorse for the day, but there was no promise that Thursday would be any better. So, off I went into the rain for the next six hours when it cleared up. It was the wettest I think I've ever been.

Later in the day Canadian 37 would prove to be the most difficult road of the trip. The stops for construction were a blessing to just be able to sit and rest. Ruts, washboards, pot holes, mud, gravel, you name it it was all there. Next came the missed turn. Yes, I missed a turn and ran off the road trying to get turned around. I thought three times I was going down, but kept Petunia upright. I finally got back on the road and settled down before trying to turn around. Piggy bound up against Petuina and when I put my foot down it slid in the gravel and Petunia did go down. I knew it was going to happen and just stepped off. In the middle of nowhere, not a soul in sight, and a 850 pound motorcycle laying on her side. I did what any self respecting guy would do in that situation. I cried-------No,no,no,no I picked her up and put her back on her wheels. But, now my back is killing me and it is hard to get on and off. I'm not complaining here, I'm just stating the facts as they happen.

Next came the unthinkable. Hit a pot hole and Petunia started to howl like she had lost a muffler. A quick stop reveled that wasn't the case. That could only mean a torn header pipe which appeared to be the case. It was 3 miles to Dease Lake for further inspection and probably a wrecker. Inspection showed the header nuts came unscrewed and the bracket that held the header in place had broken. That was a welcome relief because this was a gas station and hardware store. Unfortunately the hardware store was no longer there. But, there was Charlie a mile down the road.

Highlights: Charlie is about 90 years old and works on anything with an engine. I rode in to his place and explained to him what I needed. He took a look and said, "Nope, can't help you." When I asked why, he replied, "Got to let er cool off." I spent the next hour with Charlie listening to his stories, getting two nuts, washers, loc tight, and a custom made wrench (in case you need it later) all for the steal price of $20 US.

Adolph is a rider from Calgary. Our paths crossed leaving Whitehorse and continued over breakfast in Teslin. Adolph had some great stories of his exploits of riding in Canada and the US. He was such a great story teller I bought his breakfast for him.

The scenery on this trip is the most fantastic I have ever seen. Any picture I have taken can't do justice to how beautiful it really is.

I'm 300 miles from Vancouver, I'm tired, my back hurts, I'm tired of the rain and cold, and I thinking about just heading home. After 13 days this trips seems more ambitious than I realized. But, I made Alaska and that is what I started out to do.

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for posting! Ignore my phone message. Did you get my text on Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so relieved you are safe, albeit a little worse for the wear! You really are on the adventure of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete