Monday, June 16, 2008

Reindeer, Rats, and Road Trip

Today is the R day. It started with a reindeer sausage omelet for breakfast. If you're like me you never thought about eating reindeer, but it was good. I had to think about it for a minute before I decided to give it a try. It came with grits which I haven't had in a long time. Kinda like a good ol southern breakfast up here in the north.

Rats is for the Harley dealer who doesn't do service on Mondays. That means I can't get a new tire until Tuesday. That left today up in the air for what to do. Because I am only going to be Anchorage until Wednesday I didn't want to wait around. What was the azharleydude supposed to do?

Road Trip! I took the Seward Highway to Seward. Funny thing about these Alaskans, they name their highways after the places they go. It was just over 500 miles round trip of the greatest road I have ever been on. This is the first time in my life that I refused to pass anyone regardless of how slow they were going. The weather today was 48 and cloudy to start out, but it wasn't cold at all. Climbing out of Anchorage the clouds gave way to sunshine. It stayed that way until dropping into Seward where the overcast sky's returned.

These are some of the sights I saw. It is hard to see in the pictures, but most of what looks like water is really ice.


Seward is a coastal town right on Resurrection Bay in the Gulf of Alaska. There were all types of boats and vessels docked there. It was fun walking on the docks and looking at all of them.

Now I'm off to grill some salmon and crab cakes for dinner. It should be a bit better than my last camping dinner don't you think?

2 comments :

  1. WOW! You are adventurous eating poor little reindeer! The photos are so beautiful. I can't wait for more.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pics are breath taking.

    ReplyDelete