Friday, July 25, 2008

Hi HO, Hi Ho, It's Off To Sturgis I Go

Yep, I've been missing in action. Life has gotten in the way of blogging after returning from Alaska. In the past three weeks I have talked myself into and out of going to Sturgis ten times. This morning I woke up to the final answer.........I leave Tuesday morning. I just can't pass on the opportunity, since it is here.

Yesterday I tracked down some ABS plastic rod and sheet plastic to make repairs to Piggy. I used a soldering iron to weld the broken part of Piggy's rear end back together. The rod was too thick, but the sheet plastic was just perfect and made the repair. The repair doesn't look bad and more importantly it seems to be stronger than the original product. The road will tell the final story.

The swivel ball that broke on the way to Alaska and was recalled still hasn't been replaced. I wrote to them Monday and they said I must not have written because they had all been sent out. Well, I did write and it never arrived. I'm waiting to hear back. In the mean time I went and purchased a 7/16 x 2 1/2 case hardened bolt, lock washer, and a nylon insert jam nut to make it usable. I will take the regular ball again just in case.

Tomorrow I will wash Petunia, have a new set of tires put on, and go on a ride to break them in. I have ridden several short, 100 mile, rides in the past three weeks. But, with the thunderstorms, school, and a mix of other excuses I didn't have anything to write about. Hopefully that will change next week as I venture into the Sturgis experience. I have heard the stories and seen how the Discovery Channel has portrayed Sturgis. I look forward to having my own experiences to tell about.

1 comment :

  1. OMG!!! Sorry to hear about the tire troubles, but so HAPPY you are safe!!! I agree wholly, rushing to get to Sturgis would be too crazy, and we don't want to lose anyone else this year! I LOVE you!!! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete