Monday, December 1, 2008

What is an Epic Ride?

The Alaska ride was 40 some years in the making. It was the best ride I have ever been on and I don't get tired of telling about it. But, that ride is in the past and now it is time to look to the future. The word epic comes to mind. I want to complete an Epic Ride. One that makes a statement about who I am and what I think about riding a motorcycle.

Epic is a simple word that could have grandiose implications.
Dictionary.com describes epic as follows;

ep⋅ic   /ˈɛpɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ep-ik] Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective Also, ep⋅i⋅cal.
1. noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.
2. resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.
3. heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.
4. of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.

–noun
5. an epic poem.
6. epic poetry.
7. any composition resembling an epic.
8. something worthy to form the subject of an epic: The defense of the Alamo is an American epic.
9. (initial capital letter) Also called Old Ionic. the Greek dialect represented in the Iliad and the Odyssey, apparently Aeolic modified by Ionic.

Origin:
1580–90; < L epicus < Gk epikós. See epos, -ic

How many miles does it take to qualify as an Epic Ride? BB over at BB's Road Trip just posted about hitting her first 1000 miles as a rider. Something she never planned to do, but it is now in her blood. How many of you remember your first 1000 miles? I know I don't and never considered it be significant at the time. What the Hell does a seventeen year old know anyway? However, reading BB's post
I have started to think about and begun to plan a ride of Epic proportions. Summer vacation is only seven months away and finding the perfect route to complete a ride of this magnitude will take some research and careful planning. The only thing I know for sure at this point is that it will have mostly two lane highways and the Interstate will be on an as needed basis only. Summer vacation lasts from June 6 until August 13, for a total of 68 days. My initial thought is to spend around 55 days out seeing this great country and where the road takes me.

Chime in and give your thoughts about what you consider a ride of epic proportions. Where would your road lead?

6 comments :

  1. Mr. AHD: I asked this same question a month ago on my blog post Dream Rides. I think that qualifies as rides of Epic proportions according to definition number four. As I said before I want to start with Alaska. Then tour Europe to get a handle on if I can do the next Dream Ride. I want to ride around the world once. That would be an Epic adventure for sure.

    fasthair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. 55 days seeing our beautiful country would be an epic ride. Keep us posted on the planning. For my first big trip I want to ride to the Grand Canyon.
    Also wanted to say thanks for the nod. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking an epic ride would definitely be to color in the rest of the continental U.S.A. Perhaps start at Florida and go all the way up the east coast????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thst sounds great. Bet it will be a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what B.B. said... 55 days of riding would be an "epic ride" in itself. Being someone, with few vacation days, I can never be gone for more than 4 to 5 days. That sucks when trying to go somewhere for that "epic ride".

    We can live it through you though, and that sounds like it could be some awesome posting material.

    Ride on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever read the book Blue Highway, by William Least Heat Moon? In that book he drove a Ford Econoline along a route that started in Columbia, MO, then to the East Coast, down around the tip of FL, across the Southern US, up the West Coast, then across the Northern US to New England. It has been years since I read that book. If I recall correctly, he was on the road for 3 months. If one had the time, it would truly be a ride of epic proportions.

    ReplyDelete