Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Becoming Part of the Solution Part 2

My search into sidecars took me in many directions. There are a lot of choices out there and with a base price range of between $4,000 and $12,000 I questioned my desire to join the Happy Express of saving the world. What would Barack think of my waffling?

I pressed on in my search for enlightenment. I discovered Harley Davidson makes a sidecar. It is available only through Dealers and I only found one web page on it, but didn't bookmark it and can't find it again. When I picked Petunia up, after her service, I asked a salesman about them. He said, "I don't really know anything about them, but I would guess they are about $10,000. I've been here three years and we have never sold one."

When pressed he went to find someone who knew something. After a few minutes he came back with the information of the $10,000 being correct. Then he continued to say there was twenty hours labor, at $85.95 per, to connect it and maybe other parts needed. When I asked if it didn't come with all the parts for $10,000 what was the use, he just shrugged. I guess there won't be a Harley sidecar in my future.

The following shows some of what I found.



These two little darlings fall into the not on your life class. Take a close look at the Enduro on the left. Nothing says comfort quite like that seat, but at least there is a grab bar.








These cars just don't fit the style that I feel goes with Petunia.










I believe that the car on the right, a Liberator, runs $12,000 base price.









These were getting closer to what I had in mind, but I couldn't do the Frindship II because I didn't want the kids. Plus they still didn't feel right.

















Now I was getting somewhere. This group of cars fit into what I was thinking would really dress up Petunia. Spoke wheels, wide white walls, classic old school looks, and maybe some fish tail mufflers and Petunia would be a show stopper for sure.




Looking into what a sidecar really needs to have adds up quick. All three of these cars list out with options to around $8,000. A curious thing I find is a top is an option. On my last hack I had a top because I thought it was better for the girls, but thinking now I find that being under a top takes away from the whole motorcycle experience. If someone where riding with me they wouldn't be under a damn top, so I just saved $175. The one option I wouldn't do without is a brake on the sidecar. Brakes weren't available last time and now that they are I feel it is a must have.

Spending upward of $8,000 to change my footprint was getting me down. Barack says I should sacrifice, but I need to ask myself to what extent I am willing to go. Then I got an idea!! Ebay, why not check out ebay. I found two possibilities that I thought might work out. One was in Maryland and had a shipping price listed of $300. Reading the listing further the guy said he just put that number there, but didn't know what it really would be. I wrote him and asked to find out exactly what it would cost. Not wanting to wait for him, because the end of the auction was near, I called FedEx and found the real cost was $900. Shipping a used car wasn't going to work for me. Plus it didn't have brakes. Oh, and the guy never responded to my e-mail. Surprise.

4 comments :

  1. I'd of never thought they were so much either. Now I know.

    Some of them are kind of cool. I'd like one to haul my dog around in one. He'd love it, but I'm not forking out that kind of dough for a sidecar.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think, not only are you saving the environment, but you're stimulating the economy at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were to do it, the 3 at the bottom would get my vote. It seems to be that if you have to pay for both the sidecar ready to roll and installation, it's going to be very expensive. On the other hand, if you could find one say that needed some restoring, and do all the work yourself, it may be much cheaper.

    I think you should write to Barack and Al Gore, tell 'em you're trying to help out, and ask for contributions from them to the "Save the Environment Sidecar Fund."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. M, the cost is why I kept looking and I will be looking for a dog also.


    BB, hopefully I won't be stimulating the economy all that much if I get rid of the car or truck or both.


    Joker, I agree Barack and Al should join me in this effort. I'll send them a note asking.

    ReplyDelete