Sunday, February 22, 2009

Concerning My Previous Post

First, Ann questioned whether the pictures were staged and it got me wondering why he was still hanging until the cops and ambulance had arrived.

Then when Mr. Motorcycle commented that he wondered if the biker in my previous post really lived, I tried to find out. The following is an update that should answer all questions.

This article was copied from the Tulsa World.

BA motorcyclist topping 120 mph slams into truck, dies

By Staff Reports
Published: 4/18/2007 3:33 AM
Last Modified: 3/3/2008 2:08 PM


A Perkins man dies in an unrelated crash.

Two men died this week in separate motorcycle crashes, including one in which a man slammed his cycle into the back of a truck on a Tulsa highway at more than 120 mph.

Dead are Brandon Lee White, 26, of Broken Arrow, and Gary Arden Hazelbaker, 62, of Perkins.

The Tulsa collision happened about 1 a.m. Tuesday, Officer Jason Willingham said.

Police said witnesses reported that White's motorcycle appeared to be going at least 120 mph when it crashed into the truck on U.S. 169south of 81st Street.

Police said the truck driver reported hearing a bump and then seeing debris from the motorcycle going past him. When he managed to pull over, he saw that a man was embedded in the back of his trailer, police said.

White was dead at the scene.

Hazelbaker died Monday afternoon after apparently having a heart attack and crashing his motorcycle about 4:30 p.m. in Payne County.

The cycle ran off Oklahoma 33 about two miles west of Perkins, and Hazelbaker was thrown about six feet, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol reported.

He was taken to the OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City, where he died shortly after 8 p.m., the OHP reported.

Hazelbaker had not been wearing a helmet, troopers said.

After I found that article I went a bit farther and looked it up on Snopes. The pictures are even more graphic on the Snopes site.

I feel sorry for Brandon's family, but no amount of State sponsored motorcycle laws, or clubs that didn't serve alcohol would save someone traveling 120 MPH on a highway that is known for late night high speed driving and motorcycle trick riding. It is not just a case of boys being boys either as demonstrated when it happened again, just a week later, to someone who was at Brandon's funeral.

So, my friend had good intentions, but I'm more of a 70 MPH kind of guy in my old age. Youth is wasted on the young and I had my share of close calls by being stupid and I am thankful that none of them killed me.

4 comments :

  1. Yup...stupidity kills.

    Thanks for doing the detective work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I have seen this a few times before and did wonder about it, but I never got around to the kind of checking you did. I do remember seeing the "He lived, wear your helmet" thing somewhere and thinking to myself that at least that part was bullshit. It's not to hard to figure that the victim here is as dead as Julius Caesar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't fix stupid. Sadly everyone thinks a helmet will save them every time when that simply is not true. There was a couple here two years ago where the mans wife died in a 15-20mph crash after he ran in to the back of a semi. As odd as it seems she did die from head injuries. Just a freak deal. I do not know what style of helmet she was wearing. My officer friend at the sight of the crash couldn't hardly believe she was even hurt much less dead on site.

    fasthair

    ReplyDelete