Sunday, April 12, 2009

Quit The Whining

After posting this morning I read a few blogs to see what rides others had been on. I read Joker's post from Saturday and it put me in my place, but good. So, I don't get to ride for a few days. My life is really pretty sweet and instead of feeling sorry for myself I should just suck it up and do something constructive.

So, I got out the tools of the day and got busy doing some much needed and neglected cleaning around the house. Ye old vacuum and mop pail have been feeling pretty neglected recently, but got a workout today. After I was done mopping I needed to get outside and stay off the wet floor.

So, I started eyeing the Pig Pen. I wanted to install the new wide white wall tire I purchased and what better time to do that than today. I jacked her up and started to unbolt the wheel.

It wouldn't come off. I looked harder and found that I would have to remove the Brembo brake to get the wheel off. After doing that, it wouldn't come off. I looked even harder and found I would need to take out two of the three bolts holding on the fender. Completing that, it still wouldn't come off. Damn, I would have to remove the fender to allow the tire to slide out. Completing that, it did, finally, come off. These aren't complaints, they are facts.

I took out the valve stem and no air came out. How could that be? I bounced the tire on the ground and it bounced and had no flex at all. I stuck a wire into the valve stem and goo game out. I got the drill and drilled three holes into it, but still no air came out. Next I got the sawzall and cut it open. The evidence is in the picture below.There was so much crap in the tube that it was almost solid. I'm not sure what it was, but I've never seen a tube filled like that before. After cutting and pulling almost all of the tube out I found another surprise. Instead of a rubber band to cover the spokes they used a wrap of duck tape and it had many torn edges and the spokes were touching the tube. So, I stopped and will take it in to have the tire mounted, correctly, and balanced.

Since I was so close I pulled out the brake pads to have a look. They were more than half used up. I thought it would be a great idea to go inside and order a new set. So, I went in and looked them up on the Internet and only found one place to get them. That was a place overseas and they would need to be back ordered. I emailed both Champion Sidecars and a dealer in Washington state to see if they have the new pads. Whatever I have to do it doesn't make any sense to put it back together like they are.

So, while I didn't get to ride today I was still productive. I got some needed chores done and got a head start on having the pig pen ready to roll when Petunia is ready.

3 comments :

  1. Brings to mind the “There but for the grace of God goes I” saying.

    Every time I think my life sucks, I meet someone who could really use my help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes other things in our lives take precedence over riding. Get them out of the way as soon as possible!

    Ride on,
    Torch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama "said there'd be day's like this".

    ReplyDelete