Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Friday to Williams

Friday dawned overcast, but pleasant. It was get-away-day to the Rumble on Route 66. The plan was to leave town about 2:30, take a leisurely ride up, and meet up with the fellow bloggers. We got out of town and on the highway at 2:00. The ride up was enjoyable and because I was on the super slab it was nothing to write home about. About 45 miles north of Phoenix it was time to put on the leather jacket because it was getting cold. Cold in the middle of June in the middle of the day is unusual in Arizona.

Just before reaching the junction with I40 it began to sprinkle. Didn't I post that there wasn't going to be rain this weekend? Just as fast as it started it stopped. Ahhhh, that was a good sign. We reached Williams about 4:14, rode through town to our motel and checked in. Now the motels in Williams are, for the most part, older, circa 1940, but it was clean and comfortable. There was a TV, microwave, and dorm refrigerator in the room, all of which never got used.

I tried to call Ann and Big D, got a machine, and left a message. It was time to ride through town on Route 66 and check things out. Pulling out of our motel, I noticed their motel was right next door. About halfway through town Big D and Ann pulled up to the stop sign on my left. They were just getting there as they took a more scenic route than we did. We pulled to the curb and talked for a few minutes, I directed them to their motel, and we planned to meet down by the Rumble headquarters in a bit. Linda and I went and looked at the sorry excuse for vendors they had and headed over to the rally headquarters bar named The Wild West Junction. They had a band named Rimfire 44 that was playing and they were pretty good. Shortly Ann called and I told them where we were. In a few she called again and asked exactly where we were. All I had to tell her was to turn around. We had a couple of more drinks and dinner there before taking the bikes to the motel for the night.

The bikes went in for the night. The four of us went for a walk to the closest bar. It was the Sultan and was very busy as you would expect on a Friday night. The picture is me helping Ann as she tries to sit on the moose to get a picture. This was after the photos of the girls on a cow and a bear on the way there. The bouncer at the door then offered his stool to make the climb easier. I think it was about then that BB called to report they were still 300 miles away. So, they would be awhile getting there, but it didn't slow us down.

Then it was time to move on to the next establishment. Along the way this poor old guy, minding his own business, became the object of the girls' desire and photos were required. The next stop was a local favorite named The Canyon Club. It had an ever popular shuffle board game and karaoke. Everyone was having a great time and there was even look-a-likes there. If you look real close at the end of the shuffle board table it looks like a chubby Willie Nelson. We all hung out there until about 11:45 and that is when I realized that I am an old guy and had to go put myself to bed. Ann and Big D were having none of that going to bed crap and vowed to stay out waiting for our California friends to make it in. God love em, I was finished.

To be continued......

7 comments :

  1. We had a blast!
    Thouroghly enjoyed your company.
    Same time next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic, sounds like a great meetup. more more more... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bummed we got in so late, I would've loved more time to hang out with you guys, but we had an amazing time none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking we need to do this again next year! :)

    We had a great time with you and Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for giving me something. The others are still teasing us. I wish I could have been there, ya'll sound like you had a fantastic time.

    Better watch out for those old sidewalk guys. He looks like he was whispering sweet nothings in your lady's ear.

    Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What! You started without us? It’s all good. We hit rain about 1:00 AM.

    ReplyDelete