Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Parade and the Rumble

Early to bed, early to rise. The plan was to give a wake up call to Ann and Big D at 8:00 AM. We got up and were ready to go by 7:30and there was a need for coffee. It was decided to go across the street for that coffee and breakfast and wait to make the call. Ann answered on the second ring, I crowed in my best cock-a-doodle-do while sitting in the restaurant, and she informed me that BB, Dave, and Willie hadn't gotten in until 2:00 AM. We went ahead and ate, drank a few cups of joe, and then walked back across Route 66 to get ready to roll. It was then that the late night gang rolled into the restaurant parking lot. We walked back over to meet them. After introductions, hugs, and handshakes in true biker fashion the question was, "Is the food any good?" We left to go sign in, because I'm not as smart as Big D and didn't sign in Friday afternoon even though I was right there, and they went in to eat.

After their breakfast here is the gang arriving at the staging area. As you might notice it is overcast and it was cool.

Everyone got signed in, Big D got his parts frozen, we talked some more, and it was time for the parade. Parade? Route 66 splits in town and runs on both sides of Motel Row. So we travel west to the end of town and then headed east, with a police escort, to folks lining both sides of the road to wave us off. A quick gas and water stop and we were off.

View The Rumble Route in a larger map

This is the route of the Rumble on Route 66. As you might notice it is more off of Route 66 than on, but who's counting. The first stop was at the Double Eagle Trading Post. Joker, how appropriate is that? As we traveled into the higher elevations it got colder and colder. We finally reached about the 10,000 foot mark and it was time to stop at the Ski Lift Lodge, the second of four stops to get our cards punched. We had ridden through a few sprinkles, but when we were stopped for lunch the skies opened up and washed the bikes really good. It had stopped raining by the time we were ready to leave and Dave got out his Sham Wow and dried our seats. Thanks for that Dave!

We continued the rest of the 100+ mile ride, got all of our punches, and turned in our cards. Hanging out, watching the bike games, and having a free beer took up the next hour or so. The announcement was made that the drawing to pick the winners would be held at 7:30 at the Wild West Junction. So, it was off to rest a bit and post Bears, Buffalo, Biker Babes and Boys at the Rumble.

Next up; Saturday night in Williams.


  1. I have to laugh when I think about that poor lady who offered to take our picture, she sure didn't know what she was getting into did she?

  2. Shamwow! Too bad I left my camera out in the rain. This little lapse in judgement was why it wouldn't work for awhile.

    I have never seen a picture of myself riding the glide. It sorta tripp'ed me out a bit. I need to smile more, lol.

    I got a laugh out of the 'Brit' lady who offered to take this pict at the double eagle. She had no idea what was coming.

    I enjoyed the ride. Did you figure out why the hog was feeling under the weather yet?

  3. O.K. where is the rest of this post?. I'm glad you had a good time. Rain and all.

  4. I totally forgot about Big D's frozen parts. I'll have to put that in my next post. Thanks!

    I get a kick out of Mr. M asking where the rest of the post is! Doesn't he know that sometimes what happens on the road stays on the road? LOL!

  5. Very little sleep, sucked. More rain, sucked. C-O-L-D at 10,000 ft, sucked. Meeting new friends, priceless.

  6. great post and pics (smiling or not).

    shamwow? huh.. wtf? lol...

  7. Love, love, love, the dbl eagle pic! LMAO!!!

    I'm sure that nice lady will have a nice little story for her friends back home.

    Thanks for letting us come along. This is great. Keep us going!!