Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Time to Start Playing With It

Because the TunderMax seems to be working, and I don’t bowl on Wednesday, I decided to begin playing with the adjustments. One of the benefits of this system is every time you change something you save it and if it doesn’t work you just click on the last one that did and reload it.


My rational for getting this system is to be able to have Petunia run and obtain a decent number of MPG while cruising on the highway. The factory AFR, air-fuel-ratio, is 14.8:1. The default on the ThunderMax is 13:1 across 32 monitoring points. This is what that looks like in the program;



I don’t want to go as high as 14.8:1, so I will try 13.94, between 2048-3328 RPM, and run it for a week or so to see how it runs. That means getting out while hitting some open roads and giving it time to dial in the new points. The new AFR at cruising RPMs looks like this;


The yellow markers are the original AFR and the red is where I moved them to.  To make these changes you have to move each point separately on the first page and then simply cut and paste on subsequent map pages.  Now it's off to school and wait for 3:27, so I go for a ride.

9 comments :

  1. Now you’re just teasing me!

    Even though my birthday was several months ago, (and you forgot), it’s not too late for a belated present :)

    How about a pic of the installation and exhaust?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, and here i was thinking power commander, hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I have to be honest...the only part of that I understood was "hitting some open roads" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willy D, I can't believe you didn't get the card I sent! The pictures will be coming up shortly.

    Ms M, I have a PC III that I'll donate to your cause if you like. It requires a dyno tune to set up correctly, but it also can be loaded with a canned map from their web site. PS...the ThunderMax is illegal in California, but I would be happy to help you and Willy D and anyone else get around that. Maybe, depending on who is reading this.

    BB, my dear....you understand the most important part of the whole post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh...looks as though we be having some fun. Thats always half the battle, the tinkering, with any ride. ya know, kind of a version of Duct tape and bailing wire, only more high tech.
    Have fun. I'm still snowed in and having to utilize the "who-ver-round".
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea, I know that the ThunderMax is not for use in CA. But all of my bikes are already illegal for use on public roads in this state. So the fact that the California Air Resource Board, which are a bunch of stupid muther fletcher’s whom can’t spell the word ‘science’ get to pass all these asinine regulations about what I can and can not do is not really something that I give a damn about. Me, break a law? Never!

    ReplyDelete
  7. azhd, really? ooooooooooh, if you're serious about that donation, bob and i would absolutely love and appreciate that!! but no pressure either way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet! You have our undivided attention. I am really interested to see how this works out for you.

    I have been really nervious about any aftermarket ECM because I have heard too many horror stories regarding them.

    Hopefully this cures the bug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I concur with BB. I had to loosen my helmet to get my brain to quit hurting. What ever happened to,

    turn on key, push button, twist the black thingie and go like heck? :)

    ReplyDelete