Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Ride Completed

Having now ridden in 44 of the 48 continuous states that make up this great country, plus Alaska, I finally think I am beginning to understand why I really ride a motorcycle. Every single day, in every single local I have ever been in I can envision myself living there. Taking in the beauty and differences that make each unique, being “IN” the elements that insure that uniqueness, and having that stupid little smile on my face and in my heart…..that my friends is why I ride a motorcycle.

This trip covered 23 of those states, 14 of which were first timers. Extensive small, rural two lane highways were the order of the ride for 11 of the 17 riding days. Speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down is the name of the game on these roads and it is a great game. The people are friendly on these roads and the real flavor of the area can only be savored on these roads in my opinion. I am still learning HOW to really appreciate what is offered on these roads and allow myself to slow down even more and take more of what they offer. I still get lost in the riding aspect of a road trip and forget to stop as often as I should/could, take pictures, and enjoy the beauty and surroundings even more.

Linda wrote about what she learned on her first extended road trip and it was a learning time for me also. It has been over twenty years since I have done so much two-up riding. I had an almost unnatural fear of dumping her, and Petunia, and it was only after telling her I should just do it and get it over with that that feeling started to go away. Of course she was happy to not get dumped and thanked me for worrying about her. I learned it is better to share these road experiences with someone than it is to do it alone. To have to consider the comfort and needs of someone other than myself on a ride was good for me and while I could have been better I think I did OK. At least I had already decided I needed a motel when the humidity was near 90% even before Linda said anything. Plus, Linda wasn’t subjected to 4 AM get-aways or 1,000 mile days.

From the Pig Trail in Arkansas to the corn fields of Kentucky to the wine country of the New York area to the grandeur of Niagara Falls to real Vermont maple syrup to Maine lobster and clams on the shores of the Atlantic to the history in Boston to the barbeque at the Boneyard to suggested roads in Alabama to meeting Lady R and Harley to completing the journey safely, this ranks up there with one of the best trips I have ever been on. Funny thing is after every ride when I sit and reflect on it I always think it was one of the best I have ever been on. Damn, that must be why I ride a motorcycle….every ride is the best one I have ever taken.



Some sights from the road;

11 comments :

  1. Wow...beautiful, beautiful pics! And great write up too! Ahhh, that's what it's all about! And yeah, I can imagine Linda was pretty happy about not being dumped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you two had a great time. Would love to take another trip like that one day. Have not been on a long one in over 20 years myself. All you said is why we ride. The road, clear thinking. I do miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) every ride is the best one!! im left speechless azhd. im so happy for you and linda. im so glad you had this opportunity to cover so many roads. im thankful that you share this life and times with us. im smiling and comparing to the feeling i get each and every time i have a nice long (or short) ride. ive got the warm fuzzies now. thanks for sharing azhd! aaaahhhh, life and roadtrips!!! im so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ride might be over, but the summer’s not over. Plenty of miles to cover and people to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. first time to your blog-love your perspective about enjoying the road and the ride and so glad you had such a great trip and experience with Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure does feel good when I read about your love of the country and riding! Great pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It ain't over! Hell no! Thanks for doing us all right. Nice picts and as usual you have given all of us road whores some tasty grit.

    I, V.D., do solemly swear, that I will travel the roads and states that have been defiled by AZHD before the road gremlins devour my final heartbeat. I truly have a serious task ahead of me...now...hmmmm...

    Thanks again for letting us in on the run. Let no one dare speak a word about how you are not one of the true soul riders...ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much more satisfying looking back at what you did rather than coulda shoulda woulda, eh?

    My kind of rider. Just go do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm back. I thought I left a comment here already, but I must have been dreaming!

    I loved the slide show and I think it's awesome at how many states you've been in. I keep dreaming that I'm going to be able to do that some day. I'm working on my financial stability to be able to do so... I just hope I'm still young enough to WANT to do it when I finally CAN do it! LOL!

    Harley and I enjoyed our dinner together very much, I just wish you could have been here on a Saturday or Sunday and we could have really shown you some nice riding.

    On the way home that night, Harley mentioned how nice it was that you were able to spend your summers traveling, but he couldn't handle the trade off. He couldn't see himself being able to do what you do unless ropes and gags were allowed. LOL!

    I'm working on another post from our 4th of July trip... about our rivers and lakes. Your mentioning how lucky we are as a state to have so many, I decided it was worth sharing.

    Good luck with the new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really enjoyed your thoughts about your trip and the photos. Cool that you met LadyR and Harley. You must not have seen Joker, huh? He's so MIA these days. I think it's awesome that you've been to so many states on your motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete