Saturday, March 19, 2011

Change....She Is Here

The Winds of Change have certainly been blowing through my life lately.  Then on a recent Saturday as I was walking outside I took a particular notice of Petunia.  Was it time?  Could I really ship her off? 



'Twas the night before the road trip, when all the planning had been done,
Not a motor was idling; it was time to wait for the sun;
The bags were all packed and sitting by the door,
Knowing there wasn’t a place for one thing more;
The furry children were restless, rather than in their beds,
As visions of something changing danced in their heads;
With mamma in her undies and I without a cap,
Had just settled our brains for a short night’s nap;
When out in the garage there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the door I flew like a flash,Stubbing my toe and falling with a crash.
The darkness of the night inhibiting my ability to see,
Gave me such a pain and blood on my knee;
When I got to the door, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a terrible sight that didn’t seem clear;
With a little old shake that went by too quick,
I knew in a moment it must be some kind of trick.
More rapid than miles and rest stops it came,
I heard whistles, and grunts, and called them by name;
Off, air shocks! Off, Tour Pac! Off, all types of chrome! And now get rid of that old ugly seat!
On, Progressives! On, Phantom bag support! On, passenger backrest!
Might as well lower it, to make it the best.
To the end of the garage! To the edge of the drive!
Now roll away! Roll away! Roll away all!’
So off to the black-top Petunia she flew,
With the svelte new figure, and weight loss too;
And then, in an instant, I hear in my ear,
“Now isn’t that better than a new bike, my Dear?”



 With a tiny tweek here,


And a small tweek there,



Here a little tweek, there a final tweek,


And to think it all started with an old broken seat! 

It is a relief to know Petunia isn't going anywhere.

11 comments :

  1. Petunia looks great! LOVE LOVE LOVE the poem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a lot of great changes in your life. It is good to see that you have held on to some that are old and dear to you. Petunia looks fantastic! Here's to many long happy rides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once in awhile, I'll read something that just makes me laugh, just enough to keep a smile rollin' the rest of the day. This was one of them. How long did it take to come up with the modern version?

    Dig the verses and change is where it's all at. Everything else can change all it wants to, and change a good thing, as long as you keep your love familiar and unchanged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem! I love the new look. Kinda reminds me of my Ol' girl now. These Glides look hot when you sleek them down like that. Congratulations on the great new face lift. Y'all look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is that it must have been some great wine you had with supper!!

    Ok, I laughed. A little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever, your poem is! I like the lite version, sometimes it just takes something small to start a big change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the poem!! Hope you're that creative with your vows, lol

    ReplyDelete