Sunday, October 9, 2011

Remembering

It has been a while.  Busy, Life, not any excuse except lack of anything to say?  Reasons are just excuses anyway. Sitting here on a Sunday evening waiting for tomorrow to drive down to Bisbee to recover a trailer and a dog. 

The blog has been on my mind for a while now and still no posts.  Boston Ann stopped by yesterday to drop off something for Linda and invited us over to hang out and share a few laughs, but after a full day of cleaning out the garage and shed it was to the neighborhood joint for a bite and beverage, home to a movie, and falling asleep.  BASTARD!!!!!!!!!

I penned this back on December 26, 2007. Two posts on one day! True, this is why I started to blog.  Sometimes a guy just needs to remember what the Hell is important to him.

Well, I thought I needed a blog. Why the hell does a 54 year old man need a blog you might wonder. The same reason everyone else does. Because it's there and I just might have something worth talking about and I need practice in my typing skills. The truth is, I decided this would be a good way to chronicle the  exploits on my Harley.


Yep, Harley. Wanted one when I was seventeen, but got a Honda 175 instead. Pappy finally gave in because the son of his boss was selling it. Got off to a great start too, when I rear ended a car at the first stoplight I was supposed to stop at. A wild eyed kid on a motorcycle for the first time, the wind in his eyes, Dad and sister following in the car, mister Big Shot himself, and BAM!!! It was a good thing that car was stopped for the light or I might have gone right through the intersection and my riding would have ended before it started. Pappy roared around me after I finally got it going again and made my first left hand turn and shouted out the window, "I'll see you at home if you make it that far." I did and here we are today.


Over the years I've had five Hondas from the 175 up to an Aspencade, a Suzuki, and now the Harley. The Aspencade at a time had a two passenger sidecar and trailer. The whole family, dad, mom, and both daughters went on trips on the motorcycle. The worst part of that was it took an hour to get gas because of the crowds that came to see how four people could possibly ride one motorcycle.


Finally, last February I spent my money on what I had really wanted for 36 years. Some folks don't believe that I am a man of patience, but I think waiting 36 years for something proves it. So now I am the proud owner of a 2003 100 Year Anniversary FLHTCI. My Electra Glide was purchased after searching for two months, riding sixteen different Harleys, and knowing I would find a bike that spoke to me. Finally I found it on Craig's List and scheduled a time to go the 60 miles to look at it. Can you believe that the day I was going to go it rained for the first time in 119 days in Phoenix? Not a sprinkle, a full out rain storm that lasted two days. I had to wait four days to go look at it and called to see if it was still available. It was and when I saw it I was shocked it was still there. A 70 year old guy had bought it in Minnesota new, added spoke wheels, wide white wall tires, and about $3,000 of other accessories. He trucked it to Arizona and took it out two times, in Apache Junction, and had to go into full lock up both times because of Snowbirds turning in front of him. He said he couldn't get back on it. When I say this bike was perfect it isn't just talk. It only had 3,987 miles on it and the tires still had the factory tits on the edges. Now ten months later it sits with 20,000 miles, ten new states it hadn't seen, a few more needed options like cruise control and highway pegs, and a great big book of maps of highways it hasn't seen yet.


Yep, I think I need this blog to help Petunia, I call her that because she's a Hog, tell the story of searching for the best, most fun highways that we can. That is my aim. I guess I might have to write about other things like the greatest grand babies in the world, but mostly this will be about the adventures of an old guy, a hog, and miles that haven't been ridden yet. Wave if you see me out on the highway.

Looking back I seem to have lost what I started this blog for. I want, and need, to get back to that motivation from four years ago. I need to get on Petunia, ride, experience the open road, and share the adventures with whoever may be interested. 

This is just the idle ramblings of  a biker who hasn't been biking.  I vow to change that!

9 comments :

  1. I think every blogger goes through times when they write a lot of go through long spans when they don't write at all. When I see a rider not writing, I assume they are too busy riding.

    Come winter time, I tend to go through all the picture I took over the summer months and write about all of them. Reliving them when the snow is on the ground.

    Ride save! Enjoy the HD! See you on the road!

    -Jared
    www.UtahMotorcyclist.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i look forward to sharing more roads with you azhd (and harley nana too)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog is sadly neglegted, I don't come on nearly as often as I used to...but glad I was here today to 'see' you! Hugs to you and your beautiful bride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Dude- I've been wondering where you've been. No posts all summer long- figured you were just out having Too Much Fun.

    Do this- and I'm the new guy, so take it for what it's worth. Just go ride. Gas that hog up, roll it out of the driveway, and go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly can't point fingers! Do what makes you happy. I look forward to seeing what you and Harley Nana get in to.

    Ride on Dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The adventures will continue, sometimes we just need a break. When you are ready, I will be here to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry brother, I need to follow up on this one with my own words. This post actually freaked me out because the similarities are super-natural.

    We need to reunion here. Hoping that would have been this month but the G.C. has once again eluded me...that evil bastard of a destination.

    Changes...that's what happens. You have some major changes going on. It's all good. I did the same thing here. Take care of what needs taking care of and you will forever command respect.

    Respect is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wont be holding anything against ya. everybody needs a little break now and then. (7 months here)
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy you're posts when you make them, enjoy you're ride and keep us updated on you're adventures. I bought a new Ultra Limited April 28, named her Skyler, and have almost 18K on her so far. You can check out my blog some night when you can't sleep at www.squarespace.bkrnrd.com Safe riding

    ReplyDelete