Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I Guess Late is Better Than Never

Damn, life is sweeping past me at breakneck speed. Point to wit…..it was six weeks ago that I played hooky from school to partake in a day in the saddle of Petunia.  My almost forgotten love of the open road having been shelved while I struggled with my new lot in life.  But, as I read the blog posts of those still posting I discovered a couple that were about to embark on a journey of discovery and adventure that really appealed to me.

Sash and Highway, a couple of kindred spirits that were drawn together were setting off to become homeless, motorcycle vagabonds. A self imposed exile, if you will, into six months of exploration, search, growth, discovery, and whatever adventure lies in their path.  

That is when I received that fateful e-mail, “Hi, we are in Tucson and are going to ride Mount Lemmon. Want to go?” Well, Hell Yes! Call to sub finder, a trip to the copy machine, and I would meet them on Friday at the Tom Mix Memorial outside of Tucson.


Headed out about 6:30 in about perfect weather, just getting the ride rolling and easing to the HOV lane, and wouldn’t you know it an accident that brought it all to a screaming halt. After about 25 minutes of quickly going nowhere it opened up and I was making up for lost time. Out US 60 to Arizona 79 and the wind kicked up. Not bad at first, but kicked, and kicked, and kicked some more. When Florence arrived it was gusting around 40 MPH.  Out at the Mix Memorial it had settled into a gentle 30 MPH breeze. Sash and Highway arrived, we got acquainted, and it was off to Mount Lemon.






At the top we pulled into the parking lot for what most rides are really about….food!


The significance of the pickle on the plate was duly noted. I have to say, I will go back to ride this road again because the food was that good. Don’t get me wrong, the road is worth the trip by itself, but I would go back if it was just a straight line for the burger.




It was time to return to Tucson for an adult beverage and then I had to get back to Phoenix.  It was a pleasure to meet up with Sash and Highway, share in a small part of their adventure, and put personalities to their stories. They are now somewhere in Kansas or beyond settling into their great adventure.  Ride safely my friends and if near the Phoenix area let me know and I’ll put you up for a night or several.  

8 comments :

  1. Paul:

    it was great you managed to meet Tina & Steve. I hope to one day too. I will be north of you during my ride across the Country but don't think I can come that far south, unless you want to meet halfway in Wyoming somewhere. You will be able to follow my Spot for my location. (link on my right sidebar)

    I am almost tasting that Hamburger right now, and I'm really Hungry

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, glad to hear blogger/bikers making friends! and that burger looks amazing right now...mmmm.... hope you're getting some riding in and settling into this new lifestyle they call retirement :) hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,
    I have been following your blog and watching you prepare for the trip. When you set sail I will know better what I am doing. Wyoming isn't that far away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms M, it is all a process and seeing bloggers/bikers is on my agenda in about 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool that you were able able to meet up. I love reading about how the blogs and interweb bring lovers of two wheels a little closer together.

    Were those sweet potato tater tots? They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Trobairitz, those were sweet potato tots and were even better than they looked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul:

    MMMM, tater tots, Now I'm really hungry

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  8. We loved riding with you Paul! Thanks for the great photos and the even better company.
    Of course we will look you up when we get to Phoenix. And it's not a matter of if, but when.
    The longer we ride, the less we want to call anyplace home.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete