Monday, May 19, 2014

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

The conspiracy of life may have been broken.  Retirement has been almost exactly a year ago and there has been no real riding.  At least no road trip to speak of.  Partly because of updating Petunia to an 98 inch beast, partly because of family issues, partly because of not feeling like riding.

But, even with an issue with installing a new clutch on Mother's Day that didn't go well, the motorcycle gods smiled on me and I got away over the weekend.

My concern about the new new clutch arriving was unfounded as it arrived on Wednesday, three days after ordering it.  Petunia was resting in the garage, apart, waiting to be put back together and in 30 minutes was ready to roll.

A dear friend moved to Hereford, Arizona and invited me down to see her new place. The plan was to leave Saturday, early, and be down there around 9:30, but I was so ready to ride I left Friday about 11:00.  I chose to run the back roads to Tucson.

Leaving out US 60 Superstition Mountains


Enjoying the ride

Petunias new cockpit

After making my way to Tucson on the back highways through Florence, the home of the Arizona State Prison,  I had no choice, but to ride I10 for about thirty-five miles to Arizona 83 which is a scenic highway that takes you to the Elgin region and wine country.  I have visited several of these wineries in the past and found that they produce some very good wines. Granted they are no way near the stature of California Wineries, but very good.


Highway 83

This is wine country? The drought is taking a toll. On the ride through this area I only saw one stand of grapes that were being watered and were green.

I made it to Sierra Vista about 5:00 and since I wasn't expected until Saturday morning I checked into a motel for the evening.  I stretched a 3.5 hour ride into a 6 hour one by taking the long, leisurely way.  It has been so long since I rode any distance that the last few mile were uncomfortable. I am so far out of riding shape that this short 300 mile ride kicked my rear and I slept like a log.








8 comments :

  1. One's body definitely gets out of "long distance riding" shape quick, glad you've the time and inclination now to get some riding done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you slept well, you had a good ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for a long ride, paul! i can relate, my long distance self is not doing big miles at the moment, either. you'll get back there quick! btw, we're dry, amber, and in a bad fire season here, too. big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't funny how a short ride will whoop your butt after not riding much?

    We were the same after our 200 mile ride.

    Makes fora good night sleep though.

    Sad about those grape vineyards and the drought. Mother nature can be a b*tch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya. I haven't done too much either with the back problems and house renovations. Riding has been put on the back burner, but when I do I try to make some fun of it. Riding distance takes a little warm up, but your ride looks like it was a beautiful day and you enjoyed it! Doesn't matter how long you took. Its enjoying the ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie 6; A guy would think sitting down and holding on would be easy, but we know there is a whole more than that to riding.

    Steve; It was a great ride! Followed the route from when we met for the Mount Lemon ride as far as home to Tucson minus the wind.

    Ms M; Good to hear from you. I think I would be very afraid to be living in California right about now. I hope San Diego isn't a sign of things to come with the wildfires. And to think some moron may have set it on purpose is sickening.

    Trobairitz; Having seen that area in full greenery and bloom in the past has a large impact on understanding the impact of the drought. Hopefully we will have a decent Monsoon season this year.

    KT; It was a perfect riding day, but is was a kink in my back that I was worried about. I worked it out hiking on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For those of use who live in places with bad winters, our year is really divided into two - the times we can and cannot realistically ride. Getting the bike out at the beginning of the riding season means two things. We have to get both our bikes and ourselves in shape. Riding long distances is hard on your body and those first few long rides of the season are challenging. Sleeping on the sofa becomes a way of life after the first few long rides. Glad you got your bike back together. Fix bike = good sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now you know what it's like to ride with Fibromyalgia. Every ride is like riding after a year of not riding. Riding 3 days in a row can be brutal. But, where there's a will there's a way. And I wouldn't give it up for the pain.
    Pain is temporary. For most people a good night sleep heals it. I'm the same, it's just at the end of the next day, it still hurts just as much.
    Glad you had a nice trip!!
    Smooches,
    Sash
    Sash - The Rude Biker Chick

    ReplyDelete