Saturday, August 30, 2014

Back to Hacken


Pigpen is back where it belongs attached to Petunia.  Took it for a spin in the neighborhood on Friday and everything except right turns seemed fine.  Almost got hit twice trying to turn right and Petunia just went straight.  Part of the problem was I had no ballast in the pigpen.

Got out early Saturday morning to wash the rig and was going to install the right turn signal on Pigpen, but the flange isn't flat as there is a nut the protrudes about 1/8 of an inch and I'm not willing to drill that big of a hole in the side of the car body.  So, I will have to come up with another option.

Got ready to take her out on the road for a real test and decided to put a toolbox inside the Pigpen for ballast.

That was the ticket I missed on Friday and at highway speed, with my ham hock hanging off the right side of the seat and shifting my weight between Pigpen and Petunia, right turns in the road were nothing.  On the straight portions on the highway Petunia's steering was completely neutral and she tracked straight and true.  I could have almost taken my hands off of the bars and she felt like she would still run straight.  Tighter corners were another story, as it required some muscle to get her to turn.  She ran very strong up to 70 mph and could have gone higher, but I'm not in that big of a hurry. 65 mph seemed to be just about right and the cruise control held her there without any issues.

Back into town I stopped at Wally World to get some cleaner for the tonneau cover and between there and home I discovered that right turns were still an issue.  It seems I just wasn't putting enough input into turning the bars as required.  I will be out working on that this weekend.

Still have a few finishing touches to be done, but all looks promising.  Dexter came out this morning to check out his new ride.  I hope he knows what is coming.





12 comments :

  1. Just absolutely gorgeous. Dexter looks pretty comfortable! Enjoy learning what it wants for right turn input.

    -Peace
    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! looking great, my friend! and awh, dexter is precious! I'm sure you'll get petunia dialed back in fast. i can't wait to see you and dexter in the wind!.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen; Looks can be deceiving, the bike wasn't running.

    Ms M; Thanks, I hope to get Dexter into the wind quickly. Planning a short camping trip in about 4 weeks to break him in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking outfit. Never had the opportunity to ride (drive?) one, but I can see how turns could be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canajun; Thanks and yes you drive a hack not ride it. Totally different. When it is set up right going straight doesn't seem much different, but without leaning into corners you have to steer the direction you want to go. That steering seems really heavy and takes some getting used to. I will be looking into changing the triple trees to help with that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, but sounds like a whole different skill set is needed to ride safely (and a lot more strength.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think of all the muscles you'll discover you forgot you had. I hear sidecar rigs will make you stronger.

    Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. VStar Lady; Thank you. It isn't even like riding a motorcycle anymore. Fun, but way different.

    Trobairitz; After 100 miles this morning I have a feeling you may be right about the muscles I forgot I had. Thinking tomorrow morning may remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a good looking rig! Sounds like a bit of practice riding without ballast would be beneficial perhaps. Riding with ballast at the beginning is fine and a good idea. Practice, and of course, re-learn how to steer the darn thing with the sidecar up in the air.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dom; Thanks. After about 100 miles today I think it wasn't as much about ballast as me just not muscling it enough. In the morning I will recheck tire pressures, take out the tool box, and give it a try. At speed it doesn't feel bad, but I have to do something with that huge sail also known as a windshield.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited to hear how you like it when done. I have been thinking of a sidecar for Luvmedu. I miss my Ural however, not the pick up it had. Hoping it is better on the HD. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy; I'm liking it a lot! Pickup isn't an issue with Petunia at all. I have learned that sixth gear is reserved for 60 mph and above.

    ReplyDelete