Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pigpen Progress

Just spent a warm, humid, six hours in the garage. The result is the pigpen frame is now attached to Petunia.


Took her out for a spin in the neighborhood and at all speeds she runs true with no pull to left or right.    That tells me all of the extra care and time on the attachment was well spent.  Only real problem was when I took off the bolt on the strut to adjust the lean out I dropped Petunia on her left side on top of the frame.  I worried that it may have messed up all of my work, but all pinch bolts had been torqued and rechecking showed everything was still good.  Also, there was no damage to Petunia.

The ride showed no speed issues up to 45 mph, but without the body that isn't a fair assessment.  However right turns were an adventure.  With no weight out there flying the chair was a bit hairy.   Next step tomorrow is connecting all of the electrical and installing the body.  I also changed the baffles in the mufflers because I was tired of the loudness and am worried about Dexter riding in the car that close to the pipes.  She is much quieter, but still sounds like a Hog.


Have to get a new Taillight as the current one has four holes drilled in it and the tape that was covering them up is past tense.  


7 comments :

  1. It sounds like you're making great progress. When you push on the bike towards the sidecar frame as would happen with a hard left turn, is there much twisting evident in the sidecar frame? Or does the suspension simply compress?

    WIth no weight out there I would imagine that right turns were a real adventure during your test ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the sidecar tire came up just by you looking at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard; Not much compression on left turns. Seems pretty normal as I have sidecar experience. Plus I didn't do any hard left turns yet!

    Dom; You are right. I knew that the wheel would lift on right turns, and even with shifting my weight there wasn't enough weight on the frame to compensate. I will get some extra weight once the body is installed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dexter will appreciate the quieter pipes as doggie ear plugs are probably out of the question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read your entire blog from oldest date to current over the last few days. I must say it has been and adventure. I am 61 also and am wanting to retire but having to wait My wife and I have looked at the Green Valley area south of Tucson as a place for retirement. I ride year round here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area on a 2007 Road King CVO. Like you I have worked since I can remember and have rode that long too. I look forward to touring every inch of Arizona when I get there. We may buy a motorhome to start, I don't want to own a home again. What happened to your "Toy Hauler"? I am planning on making the "4 Corners of America" run just after I retire (have been planning for a year or so). Have you thought of that ride, you make it in 21 days? Waiting for you to post more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duane: Welcome to the blog. Toy Hauler and truck went away with the divorce. Small sacrifice as I got to retire 2 years earlier than I had planned. I have thought about the 4 corners run, but I have a problem with following rules. If I do that trip, and I hope to just to say I did it, I will do it on my terms. Same reason I don't have an Iron Butt award even though I am a 1,000 mile a day guy regularly. When you get to Arizona look me up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bleck, rules… they just beg to be broken.. ;D

    ReplyDelete