Saturday, November 22, 2014

First Ride Thursday, Road Worthy Saturday

The fuel bypass arrived Thursday afternoon and was quickly installed.  Gas tank installed, clutch adjusted, and it was time to ride to get gas.

WOW! is what comes to mind.  Only rode about 12 miles, but the difference is night to day.  I did ride without the outer fairing and windshield, but went on familiar roads with some bends and it was amazing.

Was busy Friday with substituting in 5th grade to help pay for Petunia parts, so didn't get back to finishing up until today, Saturday.  Took her out on an extended, 85 mile, ride with everything buttoned up and WOW is only about half of the description this change made.

First thing I noticed was the softness of the steering.  A needed note is I used my stock forks not the Tri-Glide forks that are 1 3/4 inches longer.  No more of the heaviness and muscle needed to get her turning.  Just a small wiggle of the bars and she was turning into the next lane and back again.  I'm not sure I would call it power steering, but it is definitely relaxed steering.  There is no pressure at all needed on the bars to keep her rolling straight and only one hand needed to turn her left or right when the road turns.

Next thing was the lack of body shift needed to corner.  Before this change I would need to shift my derriere almost off the seat and lean toward the pigpen on right turns.  Today just a body lean was needed and the turn was completed.  Left was just turn the bars and go.  It doesn't seem to take any more effort now than when the pigpen wasn't installed.

A couple of issues I still need to address are the throttle seems to hang open and the oil temperature gauge isn't working.  Hopefully the throttle is just not adjusted enough and will be an easy fix.  The oil temp gauge is buried in the fairing and is a PITA to get to.  Also, after a touch over 12,000 miles the rear tire needs to be replaced.  That will be my next challenge to change it myself in the garage.




11 comments :

  1. Good to hear the steering is easier now!

    I am unclear though as to what you meant about right turns....the sidecar is not as easy to lift anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the steering mod. I'm glad it worked out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie 6; It will still come up, but is easier to control with a lot less effort and body input. The arm effort, alone, now is minimal compared to before.

    Richard M; It makes driving/piloting the pigpen so much easier I can hardly believe it. I now understand why people who try to ride a rig without a steering modification don't want any part of a hack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your modification has made the difference. I've tried to ride my son's ATV and the amount of upper body strength required to turn it is off the charts - I thought a side car might be the same but sounds like you've fixed that problem. (So how was fifth grade?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. VStar Lady; At least with an ATV you could slide it in the dirt. Petunia and the pigpen wouldn't have any of that sliding stuff. 5th grade was at my old school, I knew about half of the class, so it went pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! congrats azhd! im happy to hear its a "wow" so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo, glad the changes have made the steering easier. Will make longer rides more pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, any road trips coming up (with pup-monkey)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ms M; Thanks...it will make riding a whole more fun.

    Trobairitz; Thanks, that is what my hope is.

    Richard M; North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin this year in early summer. Almost all of it on secondary highways. The planning is already in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Willy D; It is the 5/16 hose on the gas tank that goes around the front of the frame. I ran that sucker what I thought was empty and it still had over a half a gallon in it. Now with the quick disconnect I can remove the tank full without spewing gas everywhere.

    ReplyDelete