Saturday, December 20, 2014

Don't Wanna

In a surprise to me three of the needed tools to take the transmission apart arrived of Friday evening.  They didn't get here until 7:15, but here they are.




I went out early this morning and picked up a 1 3/16" socket and impact driver to disassemble the primary drive.  I found that Baker has a rebuild kit for the DD6 with all new bearings, gaskets, and seals to put the transmission back to new.  Taking a chance, I searched the www and located the kit for a 25% discount with free shipping.  I don't have a tracking number for that yet, so don't know when it will get here.   The main drive bearing tool isn't supposed to be here until Tuesday. 

Because of that I just don't want to work on Petunia today.  Might have to go out and see what other kind of trouble I can get into today.  




6 comments :

  1. I suspect that with the sidecar you spend most of your time on the road in 4th and 5th. Have you thought about changing the gearing to lower top speed but spend most of your highway time in 6th. Plus it would give you easier starts in 1st. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard M; An interesting note about your question is the DD6 came with a 28 tooth compensating sprocket, replacing the factory 25 tooth one. I no longer have the parts taken off from the swap so will be checking to see, but would also need a new chain as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As enthusiasm drops frustration levels rise. Good thinking not working on it if you really don't wanna. It will go smoother if you wait until you are in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trobairitz; It is more about the start, stop, start, stop than enthusiasm. If I had all the tools and parts I would happily be out there getting her back on the road. But, I also understand exactly what you are saying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a bit frustrating (regardless of the task) if you don't have the tools...but glad you can always look for something else (trouble) to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Map gas and a welding glove works perfect on the inner bearing race. The next time I have my primary open I’m gonna see if you can adapt a 96” starter and get rid of that antiquated jack-shaft setup. And a 7.5” piece of scrap steel makes a perfect lock. Stop spending money on tools! Fabricate. Fabricate. Fabricate. I thought I taught you better than that Grazzhopper.

    ReplyDelete