Friday, January 30, 2015

Riding In The Rain


Finally, at long last I took Petunia and the pigpen back on the road.  This is my street about twenty minutes before I left.


This is about twenty miles from the house


 The clouds and rain were coming after me


 This was looking back toward the house and it was worse coming back


Petunia ran well, the transmission seemed to be working correctly.  Shifting was stiff at first, but the heel/toe shifter needs to be readjusted because it doesn't feel right to me.  The break-in procedure for the transmission is to ride-it-like-you-stole-it! So, I took them at their word and at 85, in the rain, on the wet roads, I ran out of nerve before throttle.

I changed from a 28 tooth compensating sprocket to a 25 tooth one.  The result is 2,600RPM @ 60 MPH in 6th gear.  With cruise set, she pulls hills without any trouble and maintains 60 without any effort.  70 MPH is @3,000 RPM and Petunia sounds like she wants another gear.  I'm going to ride her like this for a while before I make any decision about replacing the 28 tooth sprocket.

So, wet, chilled, and with a smile on my face I am happy that this project is complete.  After the necessary speciality tools I had to purchase, waiting out the weather delays getting the gear-set rebuilt, and not removing the pigpen, this project really wasn't bad.  Similar to my take on rebuilding the motor, it is just like a car only with a lot less parts.

13 comments :

  1. I'm glad you were able to ride! I am not much for reading about mechanical stuffs. Just goes over my head.
    :)
    Smooches,
    Sash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the completion of the project. Transmission repairs are so rarely needed. Being able to cruise and climb hills in 6th sounds pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sash; I'm gals also, but sitting inside with a hot cup of tea is feeling good right now. The rain is still coming down.

    Richard M; Thanks, I not sure if this make me one of the lucky ones or not. I look forward to getting out and really try her out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember riding my Ural to Laughlin one year from Tustin for the river rally. It was raining most of the way. For some reason, I really to a liking to it. The funny thing is, that Ural had a good clip of only about 60 MPH at the most LOL! They aren't built to go fast, so it literally took me most of the day. When I met up with my peeps, they asked me how long it took: I said 40 days and 40 nights. We all had a good laugh. Your clip of 80 is good! I have been looking for a sidecar for the softail, more guts than the Ural. I think I would really like it. I miss the fun I had with the hack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ka Ty Did; There is a place in Washington that makes sidecars that has a great reputation, here is a link. http://www.dmcsidecars.com...if I were to get a different bike that is where I would turn for a hack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Glad Petunia is back on the road....interesting canopy you got there on the sidecar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie6; Thanks. The canopy is just the cover to keep the rain out. Only time I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! Always nice to see the end of a job and have it turn out to be a success. Saw some of that rain at the Waste Management Open yesterday. It was coming down pretty hard. (I was watching on TV, not attending in person.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Canajun; Thanks! It was one of those old fashioned, all day long, ground soaking rains. Riding in it wasn't to bad, if not a bit chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for being back on the road, even in the rain. At least it was a warm rain, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lot of rain. I haven't had to ride in that much rain in several years. Glad all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are back on the road and happy with the way things are working. Even though it's Arizona, the rain still looks cold (and wet!) Lately (that's several birthdays later) I've decided I won't ride in rain unless I have to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to hand it to you, that is a great job you did. What a joy to read that you not only have the balls, but also the skills, to take your bike apart like that and fix it yourself. If ever we meet (and I hope we do) I will buy you a drink or two just for letting me read about this!

    ReplyDelete