Friday, January 16, 2015

Tranny Decision Is In

Heard from Baker Drivetrain today about Petunia's tranny. This was after an additional 3 day delay getting it to them because of weather.  Seems she needs a new main shaft, 3rd, 4th, and 5th main shaft gears, a  counter shaft 5th gear, new shift forks, all new bearings, including trap door bearings which I had already bought and shipped to them.

Because the final bill will be about half of what I was expecting, I approved them fixing it at 11:30 this morning.  At 3:00 I was notified by UPS of a tracking number and expected delivery time for this coming Thursday.  Baker's Customer Service appears to be top shelf, because they got it in late Tuesday and shipped it back on Friday afternoon.  I am at the end of a testing session for the District, so hopefully will start putting her together next weekend.  This rebuild comes with a one year warranty which I hope I don't have to worry with.  The DD6 was installed in March 2009 and had just under 50,000 miles on it.

 I am also changing the compensating sprocket and primary chain back to 25 teeth from the 28 tooth one that came with the DD6.  Looking for more low end grunt off the line to get her in motion and a slightly higher RPM at cruising speed to make better use of the six speed.  If I had it to do all over again I would leave the stock 5 speed in her.  But, to late for that now some almost 6 years later.

I am more than ready to get her back on the road!

9 comments :

  1. I was wondering how things were going. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard; It has been a boring couple of weeks. Just thinking that Petunia has been down for about two months now. This winter maintenance thing has gotten out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half what you were expecting? That's the kind of news you don't get very often. Any idea why the gearbox was so damaged? (I may have missed the explanation in an earlier post - sorry.) At any rate it sounds like you'll be back up and running soon. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canajun; The only thing I know for sure is the main-shaft 5th gear bearing failed. That released a handful of needle bearings into the tranny. Baker said the main-shaft showed signs of overheating and the replaced gears also showed the same signs. My last fluid change was done only 450 miles ago and I used a different fluid than I had been using. Not sure that was the reason or not, but I will be back to Lucas oils when she goes back together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that the cost was less than what you estimated! Looking forward to pics of Petunia on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm such a no wrencher head, but I am sure glad you are getting her fixed to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlie6; Thanks, until Petunia is up and running I will just keep reading about Richard M and your snow rides.

    Kathy; I'm lucky that I have a little skill and not smart enough to be afraid to get greasy. I don't want to know what the labor would have been if I had to have a Dealership make this, and other, repairs/up dates/improvements to Petunia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay for being about done, and at half the $! and also, hmm, very interesting on the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something about metal shavings and squalling noises just says "Something is not right here", I remember that when I was having the starter problem. Good to see your about done with this project.

    ReplyDelete