Saturday, June 11, 2016

Slowly, But Surely

The tire, fender, new drive belt, and most all brackets and accessories are back where they belong.  I have clearance in all critical areas, the tire doesn't rub, and it was time to start the electrical issues I decided I needed to create.

Step one was a new voltage regulator.  For some reason this was an issue I wasn't looking forward to.  Tearing into the motor and transmission I didn't hesitate, but the regulator caused me to pause for some reason.  I did have to disconnect the oil cooler, but other than that it was an hour project that went without a hitch.

Next was to clean up the electrical for the Pig Pen lighting.  When I purchased the Pig Pen it came with these connections which I used because it what the previous owner used.

 I took them out, cut and soldered in new pig tails, and used marine grade shrink wrap to seal the them up.  I will now use Bullet Terminals to allow me to disconnect the Pig Pen if necessary 

Next up was to add in new terminals for hot and ground.

The purpose here is to allow for the use of an Optima Marine Grade Deep Cycle battery which I will mount in the Pig Pen.  I will use this in conjunction with a Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter to allow me to charge my electronic devices off the grid.  I have to get the necessary cables and looking into a quick disconnect to shut the power off from Petunia in the event of an electrical issue.

Connecting the Pig Pen is next on my agenda, but the quick disconnect for the brakes is leaking and I will replace it with a new one.  Not willing to take any chances as I have to remove the front exhaust header to be able to bleed them.  

I have some jobs at my daughter's that will keep me busy for a week or so and then it will be a big push to get Petunia completed.  My Time Out ends in 54 days and I have to be ready!



6 comments :

  1. Those plastic taps are a really quick and dirty way to get things going but really aren't designed for long term use. Nice that you are replacing them properly. How large of an inverter are you planning to install?

    ReplyDelete
  2. RichardM; It was to easy to just leave the plastic taps in originally, but figured to do it right while I was at all the changes. The inverter is rated at 400 continuous, 800 peak watt which should handle anything I would use. When I was looking up the wiring on the battery I found your post from when you put the battery in your old sidecar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good friend had a large, deep cycle battery installed in his Ural by the dealer. They put it in an aluminum box that they vented out of the trunk and ran 2 gauge cables to the stock battery. I removed his stock battery and replaced it with a bus bars located in the stock battery location. That way you don't have two dramatically different batteries fighting each other. On my BMW, I left the original battery in place and used the positive terminal as a mounting point for the battery in the sidecar but disconnected the wires from the negative terminal and mounted them to a frame bolt in the same area.

    About once a year I recharge the battery in the stock location. It is an AGM battery versus the standard lead acid for the sidecar mounted battery. (They both have different charge voltage requirements)

    ReplyDelete
  4. RichardM; I am removing the original battery and will only run the Optima AGM. Not sure yet what battery box I will use, but my understanding is no venting is necessary with an AGM battery. I don't want to mess with the problems of charging 2 different size batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like clean electrical work there, AZ HD, though I've found heat shrink doesn't "hold things together well" so it's good that you soldered the wires together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie6; I am in the camp that thinks heat shrink is only to keep joints clean, not hold them together. Not much worse than having wires shake apart out on a lonely road somewhere. You vacation looks amazing by the way.

    ReplyDelete