Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday With Stella

It took 22 days, but Stella lost her virginity today.  As I pulled into the garage, put her in neutral, and flipped down the kickstand it happened.  As I started to climb off the kickstand folded and she started over.  As I tried to lean, rather abruptly, over to catch her it helped to push her all the way over and threw me on the ground.  Nothing broken, nothing scratched, and she stood back up pretty easily.  At least I got that out of the way.

I finally rode her with the intention of running her out of gas to see how long I could ride once the warning light came on.  Heading the 147 miles to Flagstaff and only two bars on the gas gauge, with cloudy, cool weather I was off.  Heading out Loop 303 I wasn’t past Sun City West when I was down to one bar.  I’m not sure when the low fuel light came on, but when I looked the trip-o-meter was reading 7 miles, then 8, then 9.  So, it appears once the fuel light comes on it flashes the remaining number of miles for a period and then counts the miles up to walking.  I have installed the RotoPax mount and was carrying two gallons. 


 Once I reached Camp Verde, and 80 miles on the count up, I stopped at the last gas station before the last big hill into Flag.  Poured my two gallons in and added 6 more from the pump for a total of eight gallons and 326 miles.  Actual hand figuring is 40.75 miles per gallon, but the computer claims 48 MPG.  

This afternoon as I was piddling around I found a loose screw on the plastics around the tank.  That made me look some more and up under the oil cooler, connecting the engine guards to the alternator belt cover, on both sides, the bolts aren’t screwed in at all.  Just sitting there.  At least they didn’t fall out somewhere along the way.




One of these days I’m going to have pay some attention to Petunia and show her some love.  Sadly with school in session I have to start subbing for my insurance which interferes with what I really want to be doing.

3 comments :

  1. Darn work getting in the way of riding. I know how that is.

    Sorry Stella took a nap. At least it was in the garage and not out in public. Glad you weren't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you found the loose fasteners....

    And yes, always good to get the first drop out of the way, and with no damage, bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trobairitz; It was going to happen sooner or later and good it occurred without an audience to laugh at us.

    Charlie6; Indeed, not always so fortunate to come away without something bending or breaking.

    ReplyDelete