Saturday, October 29, 2016

Funday Friday

Friday rolled around and there was nothing on the schedule, finally, to prevent me from taking Stella out for some longer distance exercise.  A quick check of the weather and I made the decision to head in a northwest direction because I have about worn out the easy northeast routes from Surprise. What a day! Cloudy all day until about 3:30 when just thirty minutes from the house the sun popped out for the first time of the day. Until that point it never got above 83 degrees, but reached 90 in short order when the sun kissed the afternoon hello.

Starting out on US 60, I pointed Stella toward Wickenburg. Leaving the house just before 7:00 AM found minimal traffic and pleasant temperatures.  Nearing the junction of US 60 and AZ 89 a decision had to be made. That proverbial fork in the road as it were and I choose to go left. It quickly crossed my mind that maybe it was time for Stella to taste a new state’s asphalt. Bearing left on US 60 I headed toward Salome, Arizona to connect with Arizona 72 North.  California here we come!

Arizona 72 takes one toward Arizona 95 and Parker, Arizona. The California border and a change to California 62 found the booming metropolis of Earp. Yes, it named for that famous villain Wyatt Earp. Stella is introduced to California as we headed to US 95 North rolling toward Needles, California and back into Arizona.



The destination was the old Route 66 into the Black Mountains and the town of Oatman, Arizona. Oatman was the site of a gold rush in 1863. Today it is a tourist trap that is famous for the wild burrows that come into town every morning to get fed by those tourists. At night they return to the mountains around the town to do what wild burrows do at night.

Road into town from the East


Mainstreet


Mom and offspring

Note to tourists, he is still nursing


Someone told this one not to play in the street

On the return portion of the ride I stopped by the London Bridge.  Yes the real London Bridge that was purchased, torn down, shipped to Arizona, and rebuilt in Lake Havasu, Arizona.



A nice little Friday 490 mile tour on mostly 2 lane, traffic free roads.  I’ll bet on Saturday I wouldn’t be able to say that.  My only real issue on the day was finding a name brand gas station. Stella is spoiled and doesn't drink from the pumps of Who-Knows-What-Is-In-The-Tank stations. 

And me being the smart guy I am, I had the RotoPax and it was empty! 
When we finally found a Shell it only took 6.7 gallons to fill her up.
I am going to keep that RotoPax full and run her dry the next time.

5 comments :

  1. Burros wandering free in the town, interesting.

    Nice header pic of Stella.....and so her collection of states ridden in begins with California?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a blast with the new bike! And I like all of the burro photos...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie6; Only in Arizona! I'm glad I don't have the poop duty.

    RichardM; A blast is a good description. I am starting to consider what kind of tires she needs to be more dirt/off road worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. What a great ride for a Friday. I think you are teasing us with your temperatures.

    Loved the donkey pics and also your new header pic. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trobairitz; I'm not sure many are teased with the 90 degree mark. The donkeys do seem to be a hit and the number of foreign languages being spoken and two tour busses parked behind the buildings attest to that.

    ReplyDelete