Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Is This What Happens....

....as you age?  Mortality rears its ugly head and plants a seed that is difficult to dismiss from your thoughts. After my minor heart attack last November it took a few weeks to quit thinking about it and get on with living. Getting older has its perks and I, for one, never want to go back to any prior age. I enjoy my 10% off at Denny's!

My pop used to comb the obituaries in several newspapers, in several states, looking to see who he knew that died. When he found someone he would tell me about them and then relive a story or two of their youthful foolishness. I thought it an odd past time, but then he was over 80 and refused to get out of the house much.

Well, when only in your early 60's and people around you start dying it is sobering. The day after last Christmas my eldest sister died at the tender age of 64. True she had been ill for a while, but still only being 64 is tough to take. Now my ex's brother who is the eldest, who just happens to be 64, is in the hospital and not expected to see the weekend. Weird coincidence for sure, but makes me think because I'll be 64 in less than a month!

The ex told me, "Getting old sucks!" 

I have to disagree with that, getting old rocks!! Dying before you're old is what sucks! I think I'll just skip being 64 and get right to being 65. Maybe nobody important will notice. 

9 comments :

  1. Sorry to hear about losses within your family. I am only a few years behind you so having similar thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RichardM, I know everyone faces loss in life, but when it is this close to home it stings a bit.

      Delete
  2. Getting old might not always feel great, but it does beat the alternative.......not getting old.

    It isn't easy losing family members, or even friends and acquaintances roughly the same age.

    Make sure you take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike doctors, but if I have to go to one I do what they tell me I need to do. I plan to be around for at lest another 25 - 30 or so years.

      Delete
  3. Yip. But getting old doesn't mean you have to stop riding .
    1 July. My girl friend and I are riding from Key West ,Appalachian mountains
    Rockys , Glaciar National park , Jasper , Fairbanks , Anchorage , for my 71 birthday .
    I bought a new Harley ultra for Christmas , so going for a little ride .
    14000 miles in seven weeks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. saafrican, you are absolutely correct! I met a guy a while back who bought a new Electra Glide for his 75th. Gotta love guys like you and him. Enjoy a safe trip.

      Delete
  4. I find the cumulative wisdom of the people who went before helps. History, personal and general helps to understand this is all part of the process. I admire you for riding an adventure bike. I am enjoying my small Vespa a lot more than my Bonneville these days. But I am still riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riding an adventure bike is a bit subjective as it mostly just sits in the garage. My plans and reality are on different pages at the moment, but I haven't given up yet.

      Delete
  5. Small bikes are getting very interesting these days. It's a fall back position that may suit us.

    ReplyDelete