Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Racing the Heat and Rain


Tuesday morning 5:40 AM and still 88 degrees at the condo. Needing a break and to blow the cobwebs off of Stella I headed out looking for some cooler weather. The Weather Guessers were saying monsoon rains were headed this way and flash flood warnings were the order of the day. With that poor family that was wiped out last weekend flash flood warnings aren't to be taken lightly, but I was planning on staying on higher ground.

The above sunrise picture was taken about 5:45 six miles from the condo. Looking North it was light clouds and sunshine. As I entered I17 the temperature was dropping as the elevation increased. By Sunset Point Rest area it was down to 76 degrees and feeling pretty good. Little to no traffic made it pretty nice to finally be out on Stella.  In the move I can't find my AA battery charger, so the camera was useless. I didn't even think to look for it until this morning. So, iPhone pictures it is.

There were two burn areas along I10, one on the West side and one on both East and West sides and the median. Clouds were building quickly North of me, so I took the exit for Prescott. The area around Dewey, Arizona had really been scorched over a wide area. It seemed really odd to see a house standing in the center of a circle surrounded by everything else burned. In the traffic I didn't stop and take pictures.

Made a breakfast stop in Prescott Valley with a very pleasant 75 degrees. Then it was through Prescott and connect to Arizona 89A and the twisties down the mountain through Yarnell and Wickenburg. 


Stella taking a breather at a water break. It was here the temps started climbing. It was 85 here with a touch of humidity. By the time I hit the garage it was 95, 42% humidity, and a heat index of 102 and that was only 10:45! We have had some rain each of the last three days and huge winds that have caused a lot of damage around the valley. My condo hasn't had any damage, but several around me have had their roofs blown off.

The condo is nearly finished with only minor touch up and finishing detail work left. It is looking pretty darn good if I do say so myself and I will be updating that in the next few days.





6 comments :

  1. Good for you to get up for a beat the heat ride. Looking forward to seeing photos of your new condo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to get out, but it wore me out! Not enough riding. Better for you getting out in the rain and adventure of your summer ride.

      Delete
  2. good idea to take a break from all that construction work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The construction work has been more like just piddling lately. Everything in this last phase has been slow going, tedious little things. It is getting better the closer I get to the end of Phase I. Phase II won't start until the first of the year when I tear out the shower.

      Delete
  3. So glad you got out for a ride. Those temperatures do not sound fun at all, I am glad you found some cooler ones at higher elevations. Can you send a day or two of rain our way? After 8 months of it someone turned off the tap and it is so dry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, but need to be selfish with the rain. It only comes in fits and bits and with the amount of wild fires we have had we need all we can get. It was a very good 200 miles even with the temps.

    ReplyDelete