Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Condo

After living here for two months and four months after closing the condo, phase 1, is 99% completed. 



There were only a few surprises along the way that added to the adventure. A leak in the wall in the laundry room which wasn't a big deal because I wanted to change the valves any way. An electrical Gremlin that I just couldn't get sorted. I just left it alone until I moved in and finally decided to tackle it. Just as I was about to give up and call an electrician I had an odd idea and changed the breaker on that circuit and problem solved. The biggest issue and most troubling was the living room floor that had a 3/4" depression the length of the room. After checking all of my options I went with carpet in that area because it was the cheaper, faster way around the problem.

The most important thing I've learned during this process is when your new neighbor tells you, "I really shouldn't say anything," you might not want to ask why. Seems the previous occupant of the condo was an elderly gentleman who was taking care of his elderly wife who had Alzheimer's. He decided it was to much and shot himself, in the head, in the bedroom. 


The neighbor found out when a landscaper knocked on her door and asked if she knew the lady and he told her she needed to go see her because she said she hasn't eaten in two weeks. When the neighbor asked her where her husband was she said, "I think he's dead." She walked in to find him in the bed and sure enough he was expired!


So, the condo came with it's very own Poltergeist! I attributed the misplaced tools and toilet seat being left open to me being forgetful! Once I started putting something on the seat it stayed closed. My daughter tried to get me to have a sage burning ceremony, but I had a get out of here talk with the old fella and the only issue now is the garage light is always on and the odd bump in the night. 


Phase 2 will be changing the tub and its six inch step down to a zero barrier walk in shower. That will not take place until around the first of the year because I am tired and need to get out and about to explore all the amenities of the retirement community. 


My original time line allowed four months to complete the renovation and I used all of it in big part because I just plain got lazy. My landlord letting me out of my lease early was a great benefit because I lived here for half of the renovation time and while it allowed me to be lazier that I should have been it was also helpful to be here during the finishing touch stage. Maybe now I can get back to doing some riding if these 98 degree, 75% humidity days would end.



12 comments :

  1. You now have a perfect excuse for anything that breaks, goes missing, or just plain stops working. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you're getting older excuses aren't necessary....people just think, Hey, he's old.

      Delete
    2. I am familiar with that! LOL

      Delete
  2. Wow, your condo came with its own bit of history. Wonder why they didn't disclose that in closing? Well I guess I know why - misplaced tools and all. Sad story really.

    I love all your monochromatic color choices with the added bits of blue and red for pops of color. You can always go into interior designing for extra funds.

    And have I mentioned lately how cute your dog is? So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dexter is a handsome boy for sure, he thanks you!

    There is no disclosure law in Arizona unless you specifically ask. Who thinks of that? It is sad and the story gets stranger as I look into the condo's history. Seems the lady's previous husband died in 2015. The new one, who killed himself, was the father of of her son's wife. Just weird!

    Interior designing? Naw, I just got lucky because I wanted gray walls. Honesty Disclosure; I cleared all my choices with my Art Teacher daughter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great (despite its history.) Not sure I'd have your sense of humour after the neighbours disclosure; but sounds like he might be a sad ghost rather than an angry one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you pay your money and rip the place apart there isn't much to be done but laugh.

      After thinking about it I feel sorry for the old guy being uprooted in his 90's and dropped into the situation he was in. I have to wonder if he was here because he wanted to be or he was forced to be as a convenience to the kids.

      Really, 90+ years old, your daughter's FIL dies, you fall madly in love with his widow, your daughter's MIL, married within a year of her becoming a widow, and kill yourself 6 months later. Sounds like an unlikely love story to me.

      Delete
  5. He was 90, OMG, who kills themselves at 90. This is sounding more and more suspicious 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He was 94! I found his memorial page and it was blank except for a note to keep all comments civil and be respectful of family members.

    I found all of this out because I have started getting mail for the first husband that died in 2015, after living here for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's super cool and super sad, all rolled into one. I can't wait to come and visit you (well, I can wait until it cools off a bit) and meet your former resident.
    That's a gorgeous Man-Hut there! Very masculine! I'll bet there are plenty of dudes who would want to move in to a place like that, if it were ready-made.
    Give Dexter a scratch on the head for me. He's so adorable.
    Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sash! Dexter the Spoiled is a cutie and he reminds me of that daily.

      Delete